20 July 2009

Fairness and taxing flying

I'm very sympathetic to some of those mentioned in this article.A tax on the Caribbean | Floella Benjamin | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk. I have been too poor, at one time, to be able to go to a funeral in this country of a loved relative because the fare would have meant I wouldn't have been able to pay my rent and eat that month. So while I am about to make myself feel better by having a little rant, please do hold the bigger picture in mind. The rant is set off by thi: "A proposal to raise duty on flights to the Caribbean by almost 100% is unfair"
Unfair? Let's put some perspective here: unfair is that our emissions of CO2 and the methane from animals we can do without eating are what are depriving millions in low-lying countries of land and livelihood. Unfair is that our emissions may deprive our and everyone else's grandchildren of a quality of life we have come to feel entitled to.Unfair is that our flights are contributing to pushing us over the edge climatically and we are not the ones who will bear the brunt of the effects.
That said, The system should be fair, nonetheless in the way that it is applied. But let's beware that we don't take such 'tweakable' details as some excuse not to do anything serious and substantial to begin to address the global issue.

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...