31 July 2009

Show me your ID

Chilling words which could become frustratingly and sometimes oppressively frequent in this green and pleasant land. The one bit of the prospectus I like is the idea of only having to have a credit-card sized bit of plastic rather than a passport to go round Europe. But then I recall that in order to have that bit of plastic I'd have to realise that "Once you are on that database, you can never come off it.
'From the moment you're registered you'll have to tell the authorities of any change in your circumstances for the rest of your life - and pay whatever fees they ask for the 'service. You'll never know who's looking at your details. It won't protect our safety. It won't be convenient - except for Whitehall. This scheme is an expensive and dangerous con"
Better off with the passport; except that under the legislation that'll be linked to the same database too. Good job travel will get so expensive with realistic pricing of fossil fuels that we won't want to go abroad in future! Still, it makes me seriously consider emigrating and becoming a citizen of some other country; Eire looks good ....
More at Undercurrents Alternative News: Show me your ID:

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...