19 July 2009

When did that happen: AN Wilson rejoins Believers

I hadn't heard anything about this until I saw the New Statesman interview referenced here: New Statesman - Can you love god and agree with Darwin?:
And get this answer early on in the interview: "The worst thing about being faithless? When I thought I was an atheist I would listen to the music of Bach and realize that his perception of life was deeper, wiser, more rounded than my own. Ditto when I read the lives of great men and women who were religious.
Reading Northrop Frye and Blake made me realize that their world-view (above all their ability to see the world in mythological terms) is so much more INTERESTING than some of the alternative ways of looking at life."
The comments section is worth a look, but do have a nice coffee or glass of wine as you do so; unfortunately there seems to be a large number of prejudiced and/or underinformed. The unbeliever responses tend to be a bit lacking in understanding of Christian perspectives that actually do deal with the issues that they seem to feel are slam-dunks for atheism, while the real shame is that many of the Christian responses just do not cut it and only really serve to fuel the prejudice of atheists (I squirm at some of them).

2 comments:

Steve Hayes said...

I'm always confusing A.N. Wilson with A.N. Whitehead.

I suppose I ought to look them up.

Robb said...

Ah yes, the internet.

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...