06 August 2009

Vote for a Change -Your Story

MPs lack of accountability has led directly to the expenses crisis. How can we have any trust in them when most of them aren't elected by a majority of their constituents? It's time to work together to kick out our antiquated electoral system and replace it with one that's fit for purpose.

I've just joined a campaign that's putting pressure on shamed MPs to agree to add a referendum on changing the voting system at the General Election next year.

It only took two minutes to join. Why don't you have a look at what they're doing and sign up now?

Vote for a Change | Your Story

Here's mine:
I don't think I've ever voted for my MP although I have voted in every general election. Frankly, if it wasn't for a sense of duty, of inheriting a tradition that could so easily be taken away (I'm talking about democracy) of being a class of person that wouldn't in many previous ages have got a vote, I'd have given up. I well understand, I think, why many just give up; they can't sense that 'they' have any affinity, that 'they' are in it for the benefits and in any case, nothing we do can make much difference: whoever we vote for the government gets in on an alternating elective dictatorship basis. That's demotivating; and only my sense of 'duty' keeps me at this voting thing.

It has always seemed to me, since the mid-1970's when I first became interested in politics, that we have about the worst variety of democracy it is possible to have. The government is always elected by a minority and those who are less happy with the main alternatives rarely get a sense of being represented; and worse are under-represented to boot.

I want a shot at an MP who I either voted for directly or at least who I indicated was a second or perhaps third choice. I don't want to feel I have to vote tactically to get preferences registered. I want my MP to feel that if they don't do a good enough job of listening to 'us' there is a realistic chance they'll be ousted and that their local party won't be the only power they have to keep onside in the constituency.

In short, I want a system that is more proportional, more responsive and gives us a better sense that our ideas and opinions will be registered and could make a difference.

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...