27 September 2009

Kelvin 2.0 by Stephen Baxter

New Scientist asked a bunch of authors to write some micro-stories about the year 2107. Stephen Baxter (again) shows how Sci Fi can explore important existential questions about technology and 'progress'. Here's the end; raising all the pertinent questions ...
Kelvin 2.0 by Stephen Baxter - 16 September 2009 - New Scientist: "And we need your help. The suicides have started... How did you cope with imminent cosmic termination? As Darwin said of your dying sun, 'Even personal annihilation sinks in my mind into insignificance.'
And, sir, our cosmologists ask: how was it to learn that you had been so utterly wrong?"

I trust I don't have to spell out to most of my readership why it's significant.

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...