19 December 2009

Right Royal Finances

I've never made a secret of the fact that I'd happily trade my oath (actually affirmation) of allegiance to the monarch for one to the head of state (and even more happily trade either for none or some commitment to the welfare of my country and just international order). One of the arguments people make when they discover my republican sympathies is that the monarchy is a net financial gain to the UK. Well, aside from the issue of whether we ought to decide government by monetary concerns (hmmm, what do they call that: kleptocracy? corruption? Plutocracy?), it is almost certain that the monarchy costs the UK some 180 million quid a year -net. And here's what we could buy for that money:
" 10,726 new nurses; or
9,241 new police officers; or
9,089 new teachers; or
3,660 new GPs; or
563 new hospital beds; or
18 new schools"
It's worth checking out this page Republic | Royal Finances: to compare with the costs of elected heads of state elsewhere which is also a salutary exercise.

1 comment:

Steve Hayes said...

Obsession with security
in sovereigns prevails
"His Highness" and "The People" both
Choose islands for their jails.

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...