23 December 2009

Urban Verse for How Great Thou Art ...

A couple of months back David Runcorn, in a spirituality lecture, offered a prize for the writing of an urban verse to 'How Great Thou Art'. At the time I was too busy to give it a go. But it stuck with me as a challenge, particularly as there was only one entry in the end which was a send-up of the idea. But I still felt it deserved a serious attempt. Here's what I came up with in a moment of something close to inspiration.

Down dappled street, the shadows play on tarmac,
the joy of children laughing as they play.
The sounds of life and trade drifts down the train-track,
And neon lights claim fading of the day.
Then sings my soul, O urban God to Thee ....

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...