18 April 2010

The sexualisation of ... well, everything ...

It is too much not to comment further, after what happened on the train on Thursday ...Too much, too young? Retailers still selling over-sexualised clothing to kids | Society | The Guardian: "Retailers came under increased pressure today to take sexualised clothing for young girls off their shelves,"
I'd have written it off as a grumpy old man moment on my part were it not for my son agreeing with me. Scenario: train carriage with assorted people including a family with kids of around 8. Also present is a hen party. Nothing wrong with that necessarily except this lot are drinking cocktails (also not necessarily a problem) with straws in the shape of erect male members. And my issue with that is that in a public place where children might be, that is not really acceptable. I wouldn't want to be answering the question from an 8 year old, "What's that?".

The pressure towards early sexualisation isn't only the 'nasty promotional' companies. It's adults who think that sexual references in ordinary public places is not a problem. It's a lack of modesty about such things. Modesty is in part about protecting the vulnerable.

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...