05 June 2010

'Work-life' balance, telecommuters vs officeers

This is interesting, well, I think so. Telecommuters with flextime stay balanced up to 19 hours longer: "identifying the point at which 25 percent of employees reported that work interfered with personal and family life.
For office workers on a regular schedule, the breaking point was 38 hours per week. Given a flexible schedule and the option to telecommute, employees were able to clock 57 hours per week before experiencing such conflict."
I'd love to see the research done with clergy in the picture too. Partly because I think that it would bear this out to some extent but, given that often clergy are often not apparently good at work-life balance (judging by the talk at chapter meetings) and probably are working the kind of hours reported here; ie 57 (plus). I know that in parish I stopped counting at 38 hours worked and still did a day or two more. Many clergy feel that they should work a 37 hours week pluss several hours to make their time-worked equivalent to lay officers.

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...