06 September 2010

Are we there yet? Chinese Gridlock

I started to realise that this incident could be a kind of emblematic event for technological society.
vehicles bound for Beijing were sitting in a queue of 62 miles, and that some of them had been there, moving around half a mile a day, since mid-August. Stranded drivers were passing the time playing cards, sleeping in their vehicles or on the asphalt, and being preyed on by merciless local opportunists along the route, who saw a captive, hungry audience to whom they could flog water and wildly overpriced bowls of rice.
In fact, it occurred to me, that it is the kind of thing of which interesting plays are made. It could have been done well by Samuel Beckett, I suspect.

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...