On a recommendation from one of our students, I've -just yesterday- watched the Japanese film Departures (2008) this description only just does it justice "A newly unemployed cellist takes a job preparing the dead for funerals". It was an emotional experience for me not because it was sad (though it is at points) but because it was beautiful: seeing the comfort that could be brought by caringly performed ritual actions. It is also a story of reconciliations and of growth, of the breakdown of prejudices and a film that reminds us of the humanity that actually reminds us of the image of God, I think. It's long, but I didn't actually feel it to be long; the pace seems about right for the content and the dignity of the film.
For me it was a reminder of the value of the simple ministries of being there, doing things with simple dignity and acting with compassion. It was also a reminder of the value of ritual acts in giving a framework for important human transitions to be begun, continued or brought to a close. It made me aware how impoverished our cultural and ritual language has become particularly in relation to death and dying. Though perhaps it should be a case of looking carefully enough to see what people are pressing into service in actuality ... and what priorities and thinking is revealed, but that's another posting or several ...
Nous like scouse or French -oui? We wee whee all the way ... to mind us a bunch of thunks. Too much information? How could that be?
28 November 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A review of Common Threads
Most of my Christian life, I've been what is usually labelled "an inclusivist". Lately I've been re-examining what that ...
-
Interesting insight into the Muslim world: my favourite progresive muslim site has been hacked and attacked by islamists accusing those who ...
-
This book is one that I now seriously consider recommending to the student Christian groups I'm in touch with whose basis is Evangelic...
-
This is the normal package I've noticed being advertised: "It is expected that for a House-for-Duty appointment the priest will car...
No comments:
Post a Comment