28 November 2010

Departures

On a recommendation from one of our students, I've -just yesterday- watched the Japanese film Departures (2008) this description only just does it justice "A newly unemployed cellist takes a job preparing the dead for funerals". It was an emotional experience for me not because it was sad (though it is at points) but because it was beautiful: seeing the comfort that could be brought by caringly performed ritual actions. It is also a story of reconciliations and of growth, of the breakdown of prejudices and a film that reminds us of the humanity that actually reminds us of the image of God, I think. It's long, but I didn't actually feel it to be long; the pace seems about right for the content and the dignity of the film.

For me it was a reminder of the value of the simple ministries of being there, doing things with simple dignity and acting with compassion. It was also a reminder of the value of ritual acts in giving a framework for important human transitions to be begun, continued or brought to a close. It made me aware how impoverished our cultural and ritual language has become particularly in relation to death and dying. Though perhaps it should be a case of looking carefully enough to see what people are pressing into service in actuality ... and what priorities and thinking is revealed, but that's another posting or several ...

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...