30 January 2011

Data, Information, Knowledge, Wisdom?

http://www.newway.org.uk/datasheets/pastoral_cycle.phphttp://www.learningandteaching.info/learning/experience.htmWhen I looked at this I had TS Eliot's lines running through my head:
Where is the Life we have lost in living?
Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?
Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?
-- from T.S. Eliot, "Choruses from 'The Rock'"
. That's a bit of a caveat. Nevertheless this diagramme does seem to capture something, though there are some salient critiques and further suggestions in the comments. If you've admired, as I have, the contents of the book 'Knowledge is Beautiful', then this will seem familiar in style -for good reason.

It's quite interesting to note that this kind of progression is not unusual see this (and more here):

What I'm finding myself intrigued by is the way that the elements in these models seem to correlate to the elements in the Kolb Cycle and the Pastoral Cycle ... don't you think?
If my intuition is right, then it lends further support to my contention that those models 'work' in as far as they do because they are naming important and real elements or stages in learning.
Data, Information, Knowledge, Wisdom?

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...