29 April 2011

Better typing on touch-screen phones

I've only been using it about 5 days but already I'm moved to recommend this. and this is why:
"MessagEase has fewer, larger keys. With it you enter most frequent characters with a tap on relatively large key. Less frequent characters are entered with a drag or slide. The position and relative location of each letter and character is calculated based on letter frequency and letter-pair frequency, so that your finger\s movement is minimize, and therefore your text entry speed is maximized."
It really doesn't take long to learn, and there is a handy wee app that helps 'train' you in a bit of a gamey way. I reckon I've probably spent no more than an hour playing the learning game and already my input rate is up compared to the keyboard that came with the Android OS. It's basically because it's ergonomically designed. All you need to do really is get the most frequent characters into your motor memory.

I do have a bit of history with keyboards to confess. I few years ago, when I had a bit of time on my hands I taught myself to touch-type using a computer programme (well, actually, an internet site). However, because I also had moments of concern about typing-related RSI, I learnt to use the Dvorak layout because that is ergonomically designed (unlike the qwerty set-up which was, reputedly, designed to slow typists down to avoid key-arm snarl ups). Most OSs now have Dvorak key maps in the settings and if you've learnt to touch type, it doesn't matter that the letters on the keys don't match with the letter that goes on the screen. Oh, and my RSI is a lot better :)
MessagEase - A killer app keyboard for iPhones, gPhones, PDAs, Tablet PCs, and other touch screen devices:

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...