02 April 2011

Paradoxes of the good life

When I write 'good life' I mean something like a life lived in wisdom and virtue showing something of 'shalom'. In the article the following quote comes from the issue is 'happiness' but the philosophy is almost epicurean in the true sense of finding a middle way (sounds almost Buddhist too) that leads to contentment. I think that there is much in that vision that a Christian can affirm. And in fact the quote I'm about to reproduce seems to sum up things I keep rubbing up against in spiritual direction: mine and others'.
1. Accept myself, but expect more of myself. ...
2. Take myself less seriously—and take myself more seriously.
3. Push myself to use my time efficiently, yet also make time to play, to wander, to read at whim, to fail.
There are some others worth considering too.

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...