22 May 2011

Language Log � Translated phrase-list jokes

Some of you have no doubt seen the chart of English phrases and how they are heard by Europeans and what is really meant. Well, there's a short one with a handful of French phrases, the same treatment.
French Phrase Literal Translation Idiomatic Translation
"je serai clair" "I will be clear" "I will be rude"
"Il faut la visibilité Européenne" "We need European visibility" "The EU must indulge in some pointless,

annoying and, with luck, damaging international grand-standing."
"Il faut trouver une solution pragmatique" "We must find a pragmatic solution" "Warning: I am about to propose a highly complex, theoretical, legalistic and unworkable way forward."


Language Log � Translated phrase-list jokes:

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...