Skip to main content

The Blame Game

I'm really enjoying the reflections on this blog by Patrick Goh. The usual theme is reflecting on organisational life in a Christian perspective. I really found myself resonating with this post
The Blame Game | gohbyname Go by nature. 'Resonating' because I have observed this in several workplaces or organisations I've been acquainted with:
In a blame culture, people behave in blaming ways. These behaviours are self-sustaining and self-perpetuating. It breeds a suspicion, politicking, backbiting, draconian organisational practice and non-risk taking. In these cultures, feedback such as “you should do better next time”, and even training and development events are seen as threats.

And, perhaps, what he goes on to say, therefore, is part of my mission in the job I began officially yesterday. Patrick says,
We can change our social world by changing our organising grammar to:
  • Let’s discuss a helpful process for creating change.
  • How can we inquire into and build on the best of what is?
  • What can we help people to learn?
  • How can we value everyone’s contribution?
  • Who else, amongst us, do we need to involve?
  • What processes do we need to put in place to help us improve continuously?
  • How can we develop, coach and mentor people through a project

I love that 'organising grammar' phrase! He goes on to point out that it is an attitudinal shift, and he's right. I'd say the secret is to contrast a culture where a central tenet is blame (and it's even more unlovely concommitants, scapegoating and unjust assumptions) with a culture where the central tenet 'rightwising' -ie problem-solving; how to put it right and save the post-mortems for relaxed appraisal in an open and inclusive learning environment marked by positive regard for all.

You see, in my experience, workplace cultures where blame is to the fore are workplace cultures where people don't feel respected, feel victimised and scapegoated -often because the blame-drive doesn't really care about truth and justice, just sounding off and covering its own backside -it's easier to blame someone, move on and avoid facing ones own part in the systemic failure. A blame-reflex fails to encourage genuine collaboration and, ironically, creates the conditions for further 'blameworthy' in/actions by increasingly 'jobsworth' workers. All too often, in fact, when something goes wrong, the reasons are complex and both systemic and individualistic. Blame usually oversimplifies to the point of injustice and therefore foments discontent.

Patrick ends by asking a Christian question: "“How might we create a ’forgiveness’ rather than a ‘blame’ culture”?"
I think I'd like to suggest that we need to start a step back from 'forgiveness' since starting there seems to presuppose we know who is to blame for what right at the start. And we normally just don't. So what is needed is a fundamental orientation to fixing problems that arise and creating an atmosphere where honest, respectful and supportive communication can take place. That can support finding out what really happened and encourage people to take appropriate responsibility and offer support to each other.
This means unwinding our own 'blame reflexes' and remembering that we fallible too. A healthy dose of recalling that for every speck we can find in someone else's eye, there's probably a log in our own.

Ah, but the danger is that people don't take responsibility. Actually that's paradoxically not the case. By creating a constructive culture we enable adult responsibility taking. A blame culture encourages parent-child transactions, self-justification and hiding problems.

Comments

Rev R Marszalek said…
Thank you for this - language is so powerful and you make me think that rather than 'You are what you eat' - 'you are what you speak,' if that does not sound too crass.

I am sensitive to the significance of language and hope to be shaped by some of your reflections here as I go into curacy.

Thanks Andii.
Andii said…
Thanks for that Rach. "You are what you speak" does resonate a bit with James and more with Jesus' stuff about speaking out of the overflow of the heart. Then combine that with Paul's archaeology of character from actions through habits. We do know that the self-justificatory impulse tends to fasten us to our words and that becomes character building -not necessarily in a good way.

Incidentally, I love the colour of your shirt in the photo here: I think I must look out to see if there's a man version!

Popular posts from this blog

Foundation, Empire -and the mission of the church

 I've been watching the TV series 'Foundation'. I read the books about 50 years ago (I know!) but scarcely now remember anything but an outline and some character names. A lot has happened in my life since I read the series and now watch it adapted to television. For one thing, I committed my ways to Christ and have a role which involves official ministry in the church's mission. In the intervening years, a constant companion for me has been concern for ecology, for creation. Latterly this has become a more urgent concern and I have realised that we have collectively run out of time. We are living on borrowed time. In fact, some of us, globally speaking, are not even living on borrowed time. All through my adult life I have unconsciously (I now realise) assumed that we would have time, that there was time to persuade and to change and to head off the worst. That assumption, that naive hope, has now been stripped from me. The situation of living on borrowed time  needs t

Pray ceaselessly, but how?

I've just had an article published on emergingchurch.info. It's an adaptation of some of my book, but I thought I'd share it and give you a taster... ... ask ourselves whether there is a way of understanding the command to pray ceaselessly in a way that doesn't conflict with loving our neighbour. Paul may have meant his readers to pray as much as they could, whenever they could. However that would be to read a meaning into the text based, perhaps on a sense of realism faced with an understanding of prayer that involves giving God full and exclusive attention. We don't have to be bound by that interpretation. I'm going to suggest a deeper fulfilment of the exhortation. One that makes contact with Paul's command to his Roman readers to offer their bodies as living sacrifices to God (Romans 12.1-2). Perhaps Paul was suggesting making life into prayer rather than making prayer into a life emergingchurch.info > reflection > andii bowsher : Filed in: prayer

The Lords Prayer in Aramaic

I came across this a year or two back and was quite concerned that it was being purveyed as a translation when it quite clearly is not. Now my Hebrew is not extensive but enough that when combined with training in linguistics and biblical interpretation I can tell when a 'midrash' is being offered. [PS inserted here. Since I wrote this originally and noting that this post gets a lot of hits, I have continued to research and would like to encourage readers to visit more recent posts here and here and I tend to add thinngs from time to time to a Squidoo Lens dedicated to the topic of Aramaic Lord's prayer] Anyway, see for yourself the discrepancy between the quantity in the original and the English (as far as I can tell, the orthography is vaguely german, so 'j' is a 'y' sound etc.) The Prayer To Our Father (in the original Aramaic) Abwun "Oh Thou, from whom the breath of life comes, d'bwaschmaja who fills all realms of sound, light and vibration.