16 August 2011

A favourite album: Graceland

I had a sense of happy congruence when I saw this article. My favourite album: Graceland by Paul Simon | Music | guardian.co.uk. I find that there are probably only a handful of albums that I keep coming back to. One of them is Pink Floyd's Dark side of the Moon and another is their Wish you were Here. However, one of the other front runners for my all-time best is Graceland and for reasons pretty similar to this writer's, for example: "First those indelible, idiosyncratic lyrics that you just can't help singing along to. Have you heard a finer insult than 'roly-poly little bat-faced girl'? Was there ever a more brilliant union of west coast vibes with east coast urbanity than in the rhyming of 'sunlight' with 'Fulbright'? For some reason the tongue-tripping 'incidents and accidents, hints and allegations' always makes me think, rhythmically at least, of TS Eliot's 'decisions and revisions/ That a minute will reverse', only Simon's words, of course, are a lot more fun to sing."
Like her, the eclectic blend of Western folk and rock with Township Jive produces a sound that really, to my ears, does not age. It's a very clever album lyrically and musically with a real joie de vivre. If you have never listened to it, give it a go.

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...