16 September 2011

Better to light a candle ...





When I started my new job as co-ordinating chaplain at Northumbria University, I inherited a strapline for the chaplaincy; an old favourite Jewish saying: "It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness." There was a simple drawing of a lighted candle that tended to do duty as a kind of logo. While trawling through the university's archive of approved images for publicity I came across the one that this one is based on. It has now been made into a large screen-poster for standing behind tables when we do fairs, induction events and the like. I really like it because it focuses visually on the lighting rather than the candle, which feels more at the heart of the saying. And also, the image is lush.

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...