Skip to main content

'viral vicar' wedding dance flash-mob

First off, declaration of interest: this woman was a student at the college I was a tutor at during my time there. She also came from the parish I served my curacy at -though our paths did not cross at that time.
If you need filling in as to what the fuss is about, well....


Of all the comments in the media, probably this (Vicky Beeching in the Independent) is among the best:
why aren't these twenty one thousand spiritual seekers beating down the doors of their local parish church instead of driving to Stonehenge for their spiritual kicks?
My hunch is that it has a lot to do with the style of church gatherings. In this digital age, participation has become our natural way of life; the internet has moved from "1.0" to "2.0" and the formerly passive experiences of reading a static webpage of text has exploded into a multi-directional, fluid exchange of views and user-generated content. We don't just consume or passively receive information any more; we comment back, we contribute, we change things. We aren't just receivers; we are shapers of the digital environments we inhabit.
Of course the problem is that she probably doesn't realise that there's far more of this interactivity going on than the image of church allows for. Things like Messy Church, Alternative Worship, Cafe Church ... and even more 'ordinary' services where there are more interactive elements at various points.

But the problem beyond that is that such things tend to get shot at from two directions. One is the press condemning 'trendy' religion. It is refreshing to see Ms Beeching's article actually being positive about it. The other side that it gets negative press from is those who think it's not proper church, or it's unbecoming.

Personally, I've done things that would go at the more 'interactive' end of the spectrum (and even involving dance -I helped create a short-run series of dance services in a nightclub in the 90's) But it should be said that people have to be up for it and I note that Kate and the couple actually planted quite a few people in the congregation to join in. Had they not done that, I suspect that it would have fizzled damp-squid-wise as the clash of expectations between 'church wedding' and 'celebratory moment' would have kept most people in their seats for fear of embarrassment and a sense of cultural dissonance.

Part of the problem for the churches is that we can't uninvent a thousand years of history and culture. Whereas neo-Pagans and others have the chance to make it up afresh. That said, I would suspect that a closer examination of the usages of Stonehenge would show much of it to be just as constrained as a CofE traditional service and that many of those accessing it being far less 'free' to interact than it may look like. Let's be honest, for many people on the web, their interactivity and user-generated-ness is mostly at the level of comments and cat-photos. I'm an advocate of web 2.0 etc but I'm conscious that the practice of usage doesn't live up to the hype in many cases because the social and cultural factors don't (yet?) favour it. And people are still sensitive to the possible perceptions of their digital footprint.

One of my occasional projects is 'unholy praying' or 'praying in plain sight' where the idea is to pray conversationally together in such a way as not to alert people around us in a cafe (say) that we are praying. It quickly reveals how culturally constrained are our prayer habits and expectations.

So, I agree that the churches should return to their interactive roots (yes, read the epistles; they imply communities of interaction, gift-sharing, discussion, taking action together etc etc), but let's not kid ourselves that this will bring spiritual seekers flooding through the doors. We still have to become trusted to be wise and compassionate guardians of the stories entrusted to us. We still have to be people of emotional maturity and evident spiritual nous. An interactive environment will help.
Occasionally dancing will help ...

 The 'viral vicar' who led wedding dance flash-mob is a great example of how to make religion interactive - Comment - Voices - The Independent:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Foundation, Empire -and the mission of the church

 I've been watching the TV series 'Foundation'. I read the books about 50 years ago (I know!) but scarcely now remember anything but an outline and some character names. A lot has happened in my life since I read the series and now watch it adapted to television. For one thing, I committed my ways to Christ and have a role which involves official ministry in the church's mission. In the intervening years, a constant companion for me has been concern for ecology, for creation. Latterly this has become a more urgent concern and I have realised that we have collectively run out of time. We are living on borrowed time. In fact, some of us, globally speaking, are not even living on borrowed time. All through my adult life I have unconsciously (I now realise) assumed that we would have time, that there was time to persuade and to change and to head off the worst. That assumption, that naive hope, has now been stripped from me. The situation of living on borrowed time  needs t

Pray ceaselessly, but how?

I've just had an article published on emergingchurch.info. It's an adaptation of some of my book, but I thought I'd share it and give you a taster... ... ask ourselves whether there is a way of understanding the command to pray ceaselessly in a way that doesn't conflict with loving our neighbour. Paul may have meant his readers to pray as much as they could, whenever they could. However that would be to read a meaning into the text based, perhaps on a sense of realism faced with an understanding of prayer that involves giving God full and exclusive attention. We don't have to be bound by that interpretation. I'm going to suggest a deeper fulfilment of the exhortation. One that makes contact with Paul's command to his Roman readers to offer their bodies as living sacrifices to God (Romans 12.1-2). Perhaps Paul was suggesting making life into prayer rather than making prayer into a life emergingchurch.info > reflection > andii bowsher : Filed in: prayer

The Lords Prayer in Aramaic

I came across this a year or two back and was quite concerned that it was being purveyed as a translation when it quite clearly is not. Now my Hebrew is not extensive but enough that when combined with training in linguistics and biblical interpretation I can tell when a 'midrash' is being offered. [PS inserted here. Since I wrote this originally and noting that this post gets a lot of hits, I have continued to research and would like to encourage readers to visit more recent posts here and here and I tend to add thinngs from time to time to a Squidoo Lens dedicated to the topic of Aramaic Lord's prayer] Anyway, see for yourself the discrepancy between the quantity in the original and the English (as far as I can tell, the orthography is vaguely german, so 'j' is a 'y' sound etc.) The Prayer To Our Father (in the original Aramaic) Abwun "Oh Thou, from whom the breath of life comes, d'bwaschmaja who fills all realms of sound, light and vibration.