30 July 2013

Millennials leave church because

This resonated with me:
Having been advertised to our whole lives, we millennials have highly sensitive BS meters, and we’re not easily impressed with consumerism or performances.In fact, I would argue that church-as-performance is just one more thing driving us away from the church, and evangelicalism in particular.Why millennials are leaving the church – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs
I'm not a millenial but my kids are and actually I feel these ways too. To me it suggests that we need to be careful about the 'presentational bent' of a lot of contemporary forms of church. It suggests to me that highly relational forms of church are to be commended.

But beyoond that it suggests that liturgies (and by that I mean ways of ordering our time together before God) would do well to take issue with consumerism implicitly and sometimes explicitly. Liturgies should perhaps subvert and poke fun at 'selling' and identity-formation-through-buying. They should celebrate and affirm people for being people not consumers and root that celebration and affirmation in the love of God.

No comments:

A review: One With The Father

I'm a bit of a fan of medieval mysteries especially where there are monastic and religious dimensions to them. That's what drew me t...