14 June 2004

23 October: 6000 anniversary of creation selon Ussher

Earth Puzzle.John Martin.www.images.com
I've put this is my diary; it's too delicious to miss as a possible church/service topic ... I'm seeing stuff on the use and misuse of scripture, some lovely stuff on creation according to current scentific knowledge, appreciation exercises for God as creator .... could be good.

I think too that we should note that Ussher was no obscurantist in his time. He was actually considered a fine brain and sympathetic to science. It's what people did with his work afterwards ....

Finally credit goes to TallSkinnyKiwi for digging this one up.

PS from Feb 2006: being as I keep noticing that this posting still gets visited, I can't work out why, I think I should point to the correction I posted a little later. The BC date is in effect a negative number so in fact 2004 would be the 6,008th year anniversary. We should have 'celebrated' in 1996.

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...