29 June 2004

Buy Nothing Day


Heads up. Having noted in my diary to do something interesting for 23 Oct which -as I'm sure you will recall- is the 6000th anniversary of the creation of the world [Ussher's dating], I'm adding the day after American thanksgiving, Friday, Nov. 26, 2004 because it's Buy Nothing Day [Journee sans Achat, dia sin comprar nada... ]. I've led a few services on the Sundays closest to BND but perhaps it would be interesting to do it on the day? Perhaps in a shopping mall? The thing would be not to be nasty to people who are shopping; after all most of 'em probably wouldn't know it was Buy Nothing Day until you harangued them. But -well what would be a realistic plan for such a service? Would it be really an act of witness? OR could we offer something "without money or price"? Something that was still an act of connection with God in its own right?

Is an 'act of witness' worship? or is it proclamation? Part of me wants to say it ought to be a false distinction, but I've been to too many gospel services that have been attempts to convert hypothetical non-Christian [non-]attenders where clearly the sense of Christian corporate connection to God was not a good advert. And alternatively I've been to too many worship services where a non-Christian would feel they had gatecrashed a very wierd party indeed...

Any ways out of this impasse with reagrd to Buy Nothing Day? Well we've got about four months to work it out, and Creation day in-between too.

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...