03 June 2004

Guardian Unlimited | Online | Sizing up the digital home

Tha last para says:
"From the consumer's perspective the major reason for investing in the digital home is that offers even more software choice. But maybe we already have enough to choose from already. Although Sky has shipped millions of digital boxes, a huge percentage of the UK population seems perfectly satisfied with the more limited Freeview digital terrestrial offering. They simply won't be interested in more choice."

I think that this is astute and may be correct: choice is being touted as the be-all-and-end-all, but is it? Yes it is good to have choices, but as a cable TV subscriber [the aerial signal by us is not brilliant] I can say that many a time I fancy watching something, I cannot find anything on 40+ channels because choice is still about what suits the market. So I have a choice of a load of stuff I don't want. When we move we're just having Freeview ....

Anyway, I digress; We are not wired for so much choice, it makes us anxious. What we crave is limited choice but which limits are our own and which limits suits us. Yes, we need and enjoy sometimes exceeding those limits but usually that comes about organically -look at the internet, and is it possible that blogging is acting as a kind of recommendation service for many of us, not even knowing what we might be able to choose? What might interest us? If we are going to have choices we need to feel we can control them and that we can move beyoind them. But choice for choices sake? I don't think so -And I'm a Myers-Briggs 'P' who likes to keep options open ....

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...