13 October 2004

My fellow non-Americans ...

Guardian Unlimited | US elections 2004 | : "Certainly, the actions of the US impact on our lives in overwhelming ways; British political life may now be at least as heavily influenced by White House policy as by the choices of UK voters. And yet, though the US Declaration of Independence speaks of 'a decent respect to the opinions of mankind', you don't, of course, have a vote. You can't even donate money to the campaigns: foreign contributions are outlawed. And you're unlikely to have the chance to do any campaigning on the ground. All you can do is wait and watch: you're powerless."

Returners to this blog will not be surprised to see that this article interested me; I too have expressed a sense of helplessness that USA global dominence means that their elections affect my life bigtime but I can't influence the outcome. Perhaps you feel the same?

So fancy letter writing, citizen to citizen in one of USA's swing counties? Sounds better than just moaning about it! There's even a bit of theinking about potentially alienating potential support for your preferred candidate ...
go to this page to see how to proceed.

No comments:

A review: One With The Father

I'm a bit of a fan of medieval mysteries especially where there are monastic and religious dimensions to them. That's what drew me t...