21 November 2004

Ubuntu!


Got the CD on Friday and today I installed it on my laptop. There is now no M$ Windows on the laptop just a nice istall of Ubuntu linux. Lovely thing was that it recognised my wireless card straight up and used the net to download updates of the software. The CD's arrived free to me and I'm a happy bunny just now. Firefox is the default browser and Open Office.org is the default office software and there are a nice set of desk games with this lot too. So I'm happier still.

When I feel I've got to know this particular linux variety well enough on the laptop, I may well use it to replace the one I have on my main machine -though that's a bigger issue since it would mean making sure that all my important data is backed up just in case. The nice thing is that the software firm who produce this are Manx and so 'real' English is readily supported!

So further encouragement to you to consider going over to Linux, if you're sxared abit of losing Windows, then you can set up partitions on your harddisk so that you can leave M$ Windoze sitting there for use in panic-attacks but you can also have the Linux system there too and work from that to get used to it before giving Windows the chop.

If you're quick you might even get the Ubuntu CD's free ... there's an evaluation/live CD and then there's an installation disk. The 'live' disk is a set up only in RAM thing so that nothing is actually placed permanently on your harddrive. You can try things out on your system before installing even. How easy can they make it?

Ubuntu = 'humanity to others'

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...