20 November 2004

Way facts do matter in fiction

I know that the Da Vinci code is a work of fiction but it still irritates me that factually it is inaccurate where is 'purports' to be based irl. I guess some of that is that for me the sudden requirement to suspend even more disbelief is an aesthetic degradation. But then also, when it comes to stuff that people [a] don't know much about and [b] can'te easily check out for themselves (even if they have the energy) then the stakes get higher.

...Like this article seems to indicate: obsessive fans not knowing the boundaries between truth and fiction are causing damage. Now tell me that it doesn't matter: it's only fiction. AS the Mayor of the town affected says: "Some don't seem to realise that it's just a story".

Telegraph | News | Da Vinci code priest is dug up, hidden from 'rapacious' relic hunters

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...