27 January 2005

Feminisation of HE

When I wento to university as an 18 year old, men/boys were in the majority in absolute terms of going to uni. Though the course I did it was the other way round. Now it is not so: in absolute terms women are in the majority at university. Now read this: "the National Union of Students' women's officer, Jo Salmon, said: 'It is encouraging to see that female students continue to enter higher education despite the fact that they take longer than their male peers to pay off their debts as a result of the gender pay gap and occupational segregation.' and ask what kind of society are we making? What are the implications for the workforce and for the birthrate, for the rearing of children and housing and spirituality? And this involves asking not only what is the impact of more graduate women but of proportionally less graduate men? While you're cogitating it might be worth adding in some incidentals like the binge-drinking culture that is bit in HE and in which women participate in increaing numbers, given that the likely long-term health risks are high -these ar ethe people I was hoping would pay my pension, instead I'm going to have to work longer to pay for the NHS's increased demand for liver transplants -if I've not had my genetically likely heart attack by then. Whoops sorry -a touch of the DTW snuck in then ['Disgusted -Tunbridge Wells']. Seriously, though: do we like the society we are inadvertantly building? Answer's probably both yes and no, but I'd be interested in anything that helps us to think it through ...
EducationGuardian.co.uk | Special Reports | University gender gap widens as women increase their lead:

"

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...