27 January 2005

progessive and spiritual values

Here's a heart-waring article from Jim Wallis from his speaking tour on "God's Politics: Why the Right Gets It Wrong and the Left Doesn't Get It" Clearly conservative views have become so allied with Christian faith and vice versa for a lot of AMericans that the possiblity that one can be progressive politically and Christian is news, and good news at that [this is the USA! Come on, just 'cos it'd wouldn't happen here shouldn't make us cynical!]. Anyway cop this quote:
"What became clear is how many people have never seen, heard, or imagined a progressive faith option, a Christian social conscience, or a connection between their spiritual hunger and their passion for social justice. People have come up to my family in restaurants, stopped me in train stations, or walked up to me on the street just to say 'Thank you,' or 'I feel like we have a voice now,' or 'I am young, religious, progressive, and you speak for me.' Often they say that they feel the possibility of faith again - or for the first time - and hope that we could make a difference."

I love that 'connection between their spiritual hunger and their passion for social justice'....
Sojourners : SojoMail : Back Issues:

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...