On the eve of remembering both the dropping of the first atom bomb in warfare and of the feast of the Tranfiguration, I pass on a thought with cultural as well as moral significance. "Where Macdonald was surely right was to say that nuclear weapons - or what President Harry Truman called 'the greatest achievement of organised science in history' - had rendered obsolete the very concept of material, scientific 'progress'. As the great and heroic Simone Weil had said before her death two years earlier, the evil in modern war was now the technical aspect itself rather than political factors. Everything that has happened since has only confirmed that truth."
Guardian Unlimited | Special reports | The birth of 'mere terror':
Nous like scouse or French -oui? We wee whee all the way ... to mind us a bunch of thunks. Too much information? How could that be?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A review of Common Threads
Most of my Christian life, I've been what is usually labelled "an inclusivist". Lately I've been re-examining what that ...
-
Interesting insight into the Muslim world: my favourite progresive muslim site has been hacked and attacked by islamists accusing those who ...
-
This book is one that I now seriously consider recommending to the student Christian groups I'm in touch with whose basis is Evangelic...
-
This is the normal package I've noticed being advertised: "It is expected that for a House-for-Duty appointment the priest will car...
No comments:
Post a Comment