10 September 2005

ultimate power?

This recent comment by Mark Porthouse is worth giving a tip of the hat to. "Let’s not be fooled by the myths and legends of our culture, which present the idea that violence is the ultimate arbiter. Let’s accept Christ’s example on the cross and incorporate his message fully into our lives as we are changed by his love for us."
It arises in reflection on the Star Wars mythology and is making a point that I think it is important to affirm. The choice we face in the end is whether we think that love or violence is the more ultimate reality. It puts me in mind of something I found myself saying recently in a discussion with one of my sons; in the end we see acts of what we label 'evil' being justified by reference to things that we recognise as good. What does this tell us about the nature of ultimate reality? That we cannot conceive of a universe in which evil has a lasting ultimacy...
SUNDAY PAPERS:

No comments:

A review: One With The Father

I'm a bit of a fan of medieval mysteries especially where there are monastic and religious dimensions to them. That's what drew me t...