08 October 2005

Don't trust biometrics

The UK intends to use biometrics in tandem with other measures with ID cards and passports. One of the stated aims is to combat fraud. I'm still waiting to hear back from my MP about how exactly ID cards will prevent fraud. In fact when I read this kind of thing I wonder whether we are not creating a bonanza for those engaging in fraud.
Prison officers have been forced to abandon a new security system and return to the use of keys after the cutting-edge technology repeatedly failed

The point being, and I may have got it wrong but my MP who sat on the relevant committee hasn't said [Roberta Blackman-Woods], that if the biometrics fail, it seems likely that this creates a gap in the system where more homespun things happen or even people just laugh it off and forget it [it happent a lot and is one of the human frailties that con artists exploit]. That is the vulnerability where fraud not only happens but can be made more serious, because, linked to a national database, well the whole of my legal identity is at stake and I am liable, not the government, if it is abused: I will be presumed guilty until proven innocent.
NO2ID NewsBlog � Blog Archive � Prisoners unpick hi-tech lock system: On Del.icio.us: , , , ,

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...