12 January 2006

Disgraced stem cell scientist blames researchers

Well it turns out by the words of the chief protaganist, I was not right about why Mr Hwang faked the results of hes research, because he claims to have been duped by some of his research team. However, the reason that they did so seems to be consonant with what I said, so I feel half vindicated and plead ignorance of the actual way the research was being conducted. In itself that latter observation is a helpful reflection on the role of imagination in hypothesising and of experience in forming the boundaries of what is imagined, at least sometimes. I was imagining a smaller, single-location team with more hands-on from the leader. An expectation on my part based in my own experiences, but wrong, as it turns out. In this case it doesn't invalidate my core thesis about a good partially vindicated hypothesis and the drive for acclaim -to be first in this case. But we shall see; it may yet transpire that Hwang is unfairly burdening his researchers with his faults in a immediately post-fall garden of Eden replay.
"We were crazy, crazy about work," he said. "I was blinded. All I could see was whether I could make Korea stand in the centre of the world through this research."

Guardian Unlimited | Special reports | Disgraced stem cell scientist blames researchers:

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...