29 January 2006

The Starry Dance of Christ's nativity

I thought I'd got various things to do with this blogged but discover I don't so I'm rectifying it so that I can call them up more easily in future. This one is arguing an astrological dating of Christ's birth in c. 2 BC. Saturn conjunction with Regulus in Sept 3BC and in Virgo June 2BC ...
See also here where what seems to me the key preliminary issues are identified as
"...the leading astronomical interpretations for the star of Bethlehem have converged on consideration of the royal wandering star of Jupiter, with the different proposals turning largely on the answers to two questions.
* When did Herod the Great die?
* In the eyes of the Magi, what would have indicated that the birth was specifically of a king of the Jews rather than of some other people?
"
There is also the issue of dating Herod the Great's death, which gives the window of consideration as either prior to 4BC or to 1BC depending on how the sources are interpreted. The first of the articles here takes the latter view.
We may want to take other possible evidence such as working out when Zachariah's division would have been on duty in the temple and counting on from that as I blogged last year and pointed to this site.
The Starry Dance
Filed in: , , , , ,

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...