20 February 2006

My news: Religious Education at the University of Newcastle

I recently applied to and just over the weekend, accepted the offer of a place to learn to teach Religious Education at secondary level starting in September. Unless a really overpowering offer comes along, I will take it up in mid September. Part of me is very excited, part of me is puzzled that I should be in this position. I am not leaving ordained ministry though. I am making a journey that I have seen a few people make from ministering in a secular context to doing so in a church-based setting except I'm doing it in reverse. However, that trajectory is developmental for me rather than a radical new departure. Significant steps in it have been as follows.
I did wonder aged about 20 whether to go into teaching RE but felt at that time I was not mature enough to handle classroom management.
I did wonder when going through the selection proceedures leading to training for ordination whether I should be what was then called a "non stipendiary minister" because my call came very much in the personal context of valuing lay vocations and secular work, and it was only when I was able to see how 'ministerial priesthood' fitted within the baptismal priesthood of all God's people that I felt able to proceed. So this is a return to my roots in making sure that I am able to carry out a secular role.
In the last few years, being involved in university chaplaincy, I became reconnected with my roots at the level of valuing again the whole 'widening participation' venture in UK education. I came from a background where the expectations of me were low and I was taught accordingly. Through that and the valuing of human beings that comes from my faith, I have been keen to make sure that opportunity is given to all, and the systemic and personal disadvantages that confront many in our society are dealt with. As a teacher I can be part of that, I think.
I also became aware of the real issues of peace and justice making in a religiously plural society. In RE teaching I would have an influence well beyond a few Christians as well as dealing with a curriculum which encourages examination of things like fair trade and environmental responsibility.
I have also been taking stock for a while now of the financial difficulties that the CofE has, and I am not confident of the resiliance of the institution. I need to plan, I think, for a future where my serving of God's people is bivocational. I actually warm to this idea as it brings me back to where I started, more or less, vocationally and I feel liberated by the prospect.
Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty ...
Since my wife will be serving her first 4 years of curacy [that's a kind of apprenticed ministry the CofE require of the newly ordained] near to Newcastle, I am glad that it is Newcastle who have offered me this opportunity. I just need now to tie up the financial details, but anticipate tha burseries should be available...
Newcastle is home to a rich mix of people from different faith traditions and learning to teach RE in Newcastle also offers the opportunity to visit sites significant in the early development of Christianity in England such as Lindisfarne and Bede's Church at Jarrow.

Religious Education - Education, Communication and Language Sciences - University of Newcastle:

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...