20 February 2006

prayer project: Peace Basque

Something that you may pick up if you are an attentive reader of this blog is that I have an interest in the Basque region and language [Euskadi and Euskara respectively, in their own language]. This goes back to a time when I was living in San Sebastian /Donostia studying for a BA in Linguistics and learning Euskara in order to write my major third year dissertation on Basque syntax and morphology. In turn this came out of an interesti in linguistic minorities probably related to an appreciative awareness of a great deal of Welsh ancestry in my heritage. So I would invite you to consider joining me in praying for peace in the Basque country. "Peace Basque" is my own bilingual pun on the French name for Euskadi; Pays Basque or the Castillian Pais Vasca. The referenced article gives you the flavour of the current impasse where ETA refuse to even go down the IRA route, though the constitutional framework of the Spanish State is arguably more severe than the situation faced by the IRA in projecting the possibility of independence...
Basque News and Information Channel eitb24

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...