28 March 2006

Factoid: married men and religion

Among the numbers in this week's Science and Theology News is this.
75: The percentage of married men that feel “children should be raised in a religion,” according to a 2004 study published by Rutgers University. Only 59 percent of unmarried men thought so.
So the inevitable question is "why?"
It certainly ought to be factored in with research such as my own on reasons for people bringing children to church for christenings. However, what my research didn't do is compare with single people -cos on the whole I was dealing with couples (I assume, that 'married' may well include long-term partnerships, but I may be wrong. It'd be good to have a link to the research). So what might explain the difference? Is it that there is an emotional bond issue here? Is it that even men are moved in a more spiritual direction by the experience of parenthood [and if so, why or how]? Does responsibility entail religiosity in some way? Is the contemplation of a child's future and upbringing a driver of connecting with more wide-ranging values and a sense of greater connection?
I would be really interested in further thoughts and links on this...
Science & Theology News - Notable news:

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...