14 September 2006

Ruth Gledhill's misinterpretation?

I think that Ruth has got this the wrong way about. Her reading of the image is the reverse of what I think the actual connotative implications are for most people. See if you agree. She writes;
My experience is that spiritual awakening comes, if it comes at all, by putting down the glass, not picking it up.

I actually think that's what the image is saying. In addition it seems to be hinting that Christ comes to us even in our worst moments ...

This is being touted as the new ad campaign for Christmas. Usually each year it draws out a load of comment from people who are not really culturally literate in popular culture because they tend to misread it. In this case, Ms Gledhill may also be misled by her own personal history which, I'm guessing, has a close encounter of the bad kind with alcohol abuse. Point taken, but that is not what this ad's about, and if we have to pull in our horns from making edgier statements because some people have their cages rattled by it ... well, not sure that's a good thing for the brief of the producers of this campaign.

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...