25 November 2006

'Locavores': new word on the block

You know how I love new minted words or at least new to me, that express newish ideas or insights or even help to push an insight into easier thinkability via the process that is sometimes known as 'chunking'. And this idea links to the idea of eating seasonally that I brought up a week or two back.
Every ingredient of every dish must have been grown and processed within a 100-mile radius of their house in Brooklyn, New York. That means not just no flour or oil, but no beer (plenty's brewed locally, but the barley and hops come from outside the radius), no cinnamon and no coffee.
I wanted to bring my favorite apple-buttermilk cobbler, but sugar was well outside the boundaries. Maple syrup might make a good substitute, but I couldn't find any in a week's hunting. Finally I abandoned the dessert idea and decided to go with a nice, hearty beef stew.
Hundreds of "locavores" scattered around the country are celebrating Thanksgiving this year with their own 100-mile meals.

Now to do this consistently would take some research and commitment. So perhaps doing either or both of eating seasonally and eating locally will need to be a gradualist thing and will almost certainly mean some habits will need to change. Then there's the issue of whether you decide to allow yourself a handful of treats like coffee ... meanwhile the idea of doing a locavore meal once in a while might be a good start. I'm certainly going to be thinking about it.
Wired News: 'Locavores' Dine on Regional Chow: Filed in: , , ,

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...