12 February 2007

The ethics of mind reading machinery

I had heard this is possible, but I didn't realise how advanced things were. And so I agree that this is important.
"These techniques are emerging and we need an ethical debate about the implications, so that one day we're not surprised and overwhelmed and caught on the wrong foot by what they can do. These things are going to come to us in the next few years and we should really be prepared," Professor Haynes told the Guardian.
There's an almost god-like quality to this. "before a thought is on my lips you know it altogether'. Not that god-like ness is something that disqualifies something, but the issues of privacy and freedom of conscience are involved. Imagine if the Inquisition had this, or the SS ...
The brain scan that can read people's intentions | Science | Guardian Unlimited: Filed in: , , ,

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...