Martin Lord Rees apparently said this recently, in a speech about science and religion "'You can imagine eco-groups who imagine the world would be better off without human beings. We need to combat these new irrationalities and,..."
Now I'm not sure that this is irrational. It seems to me that it is a perfectly rational belief based on good evidence. What is not rational is to use the word 'rational' rhetorically, like that, as a way to maintain a fig-leaf of humanism. I'm seriously worried now that we can't have a rational debate with some of the scientific community because of unacknowledged comments to a-rational basic thinking tools and inadequately founded notions of morality.
Scientists divided over alliance with religion | Science | Guardian Unlimited:
Nous like scouse or French -oui? We wee whee all the way ... to mind us a bunch of thunks. Too much information? How could that be?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A review of Common Threads
Most of my Christian life, I've been what is usually labelled "an inclusivist". Lately I've been re-examining what that ...
-
Interesting insight into the Muslim world: my favourite progresive muslim site has been hacked and attacked by islamists accusing those who ...
-
This is the normal package I've noticed being advertised: "It is expected that for a House-for-Duty appointment the priest will car...
-
This book is one that I now seriously consider recommending to the student Christian groups I'm in touch with whose basis is Evangelic...
No comments:
Post a Comment