28 June 2007

The Duke of Plaza Toro

Gotta say that this pretty much sums up where I'd got to in my thinking about Christian leadership in post-secular late modernity. We need to move from (ie "transition" -as a verb)
"1. lighthouses to rafts (attracting to attaching)
2. diving boards to surfboards (restructuring to reimagining)
3. orchestras to jazz bands (orchestrating to improvising)
4. generals to gardeners (controlling to cultivating)
5. spiders to starfish (retaining to releasing)"
But boy! it's tough sometimes taking a congregation with you: within the referenced article, there's a good example of how the corporate management culture of people can radically affect their approach to 'church'. Reminds me of a former church of mine who have recently advertised for a new vicar, my successor having recently moved on also, and they have put in the advert a reference to my predecessor: clearly they still want the 'successful' command and control approach he instituted. So there's a failure of mine up for view: I failed to convince them that 'the times they are a changing' and a new kind of vision of church is needed, especially at the leadership level. But it's hard to argue against apparent success. It was one of the things that convinced me that I really need to be more involved with pioneering than maintaining.

And in case you are wondering about the title: it's a Gilbert and Sullivan reference: a skit on a general who led from the rear; his bravery in question. I'll leave you to decide on how to apply it -if at all!
Anglican Cell UK:

2 comments:

Doug said...

Er ... since when has a lighthouse been intended to attract. "Come and crash on these lovely, lovely rocks" ?? :-)

Andii said...

Good point! I was thinking, as I read it, more of those kinds of lighthouse that, yes, do warn you of the rocks but also do tell you where you are and help you to steer into harbour while avoiding the rocks

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...