14 August 2007

Love Labours Won

I didn't manage to get to a machine with enough time to blog this earlier, so it's had to await our return home. However, this is another of the recommendations I'd give for the Edinburgh Fringe. It's a kind of Shakespeare reconstruction both in language and in the style of plot and presentation. It's an
able script and I loved the way that it was done by and all-female cast (I assume in a kind of gender mirror image to the original Shakespeare). On the downside -and this is but minor criticism- sometimes the metre of the verse became a bit too predicable and somehow oppressive, pantomimey: it needed a few more clever breaks and sharing of clauses across lines.

I was also quite surprised by how Buddhist the 'moral' at the end of the play was. Though the thing about desire was capable of being read Christianly, I don't think that it was intended so: it seemed to be echoing a contemporary concern with spirituality referencing Buddhist ideas. I may be wrong, but ...

Play's website

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...