I keep having conversations verging on moral panics that social networking, web2.0, mobile phones etc etc are eroding our ability to converse and build relationships. I keep saying that in all probability they are merely reconfiguring how we use our communicative bandwidth. Of course, the main caveat in that is that technologies always have effects on our sensorium and so our thinking (cf McLuhan, Understanding Media). So this article, How Email Brings You Closer to the Guy in the Next Cubicle: helps us to note that indicators of face-to-face time and work are not falling off, if anything they are rising in usage. What's going on? "Technology makes it more fun and more profitable to live and work close to the people who matter most to your life and work. Harvard economist Ed Glaeser, an expert on city economies, argues that communications technology and face-to-face interactions are complements like salt and pepper, rather than substitutes like butter and margarine. Paradoxically, your cell phone, email, and Facebook networks are making it more attractive to meet people in the flesh."
Quite so. There's more to being embodied, clearly, than the neo-gnostic ideas of many pundits.
Nous like scouse or French -oui? We wee whee all the way ... to mind us a bunch of thunks. Too much information? How could that be?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A review of Common Threads
Most of my Christian life, I've been what is usually labelled "an inclusivist". Lately I've been re-examining what that ...
-
Interesting insight into the Muslim world: my favourite progresive muslim site has been hacked and attacked by islamists accusing those who ...
-
This book is one that I now seriously consider recommending to the student Christian groups I'm in touch with whose basis is Evangelic...
-
This is the normal package I've noticed being advertised: "It is expected that for a House-for-Duty appointment the priest will car...
No comments:
Post a Comment