05 March 2008

Boys And Girls Brains Are Different: Gender Differences In Language Appear Biological

Hmmm. Very interesting.
"If the pattern of females relying on an abstract language network and of males relying on sensory areas of the brain extends into adulthood -- a still unresolved question -- it could explain why women often provide more context and abstract representation than men.
Ask a woman for directions and you may hear something like: 'Turn left on Main Street, go one block past the drug store, and then turn right, where there's a flower shop on one corner and a cafe across the street.'
Such information-laden directions may be helpful for women because all information is relevant to the abstract concept of where to turn; however, men may require only one cue and be distracted by additional information."

Is this why men don't ask for directions? Worry about being told loads of stuff they don't need to know ...? Actually, I found this example worrying: I'm hopeless direction-giver because I tend to give more info than needed. In my case because I'm unsure what others may find significant or noteworthy ... which makes me female-brained?
Boys And Girls Brains Are Different: Gender Differences In Language Appear Biological:

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...