05 March 2008

Go With Your Gut -- Intuition Is More Than Just A Hunch, Says New Research

Being involved with coaching and spiritual direction has made me respect intuition more than some of my upbringing and early Christian formation would do. And it has to be noted that this study on intuition seems to focus on 'snap decision' intuition (I wonder if this is like in 'Blink'?) So the metaresearch precised in this article Go With Your Gut -- Intuition Is More Than Just A Hunch, Says New Research is interesting to me. "Through analysis of a wide range of research papers examining the phenomenon, the researchers conclude that intuition is the brain drawing on past experiences and external cues to make a decision – but one that happens so fast the reaction is at a non-conscious level. All we’re aware of is a general feeling that something is right or wrong." It makes me feel that encouraging people to pay attention to their gut feelings really is justified. Usually I'm noting there is an incongruity between their words and their tone or body language. And drawing attention to it unlocks a partially repressed gut feeling which can then be named and examined and weighed up; sometimes bringing out a vital set of perspectives; sometimes carrying the word of God.

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...