26 October 2008

Psychological priming

This, it seems to me, relates to what elsewhere I refer to under the term 'mimesis' (probably I've broadened the scope of the term). Here's an insight into the significance from Edge: EDGE MASTER CLASS 2008—CLASS 4: "... people are responding to the symbolic representation, in a way as if it were the real thing. It goes on from there. I'll now give you a few more examples. That's called a priming paradigm. But the word 'priming' in this context is like priming a pump, and you'll see it the most clearly in the case of recognizing a word that is presented. You are primed, you are ready, to recognize that word; more ready than you are to recognize other words."
It's fascinating and important to understand for reasons of realising how priming predisposes us to certain ways of reacting (and in a sense we see that underlying the temptation story in Genesis) and also demonstrates the way that language is rooted in our bodily -neurosomatic- experience/being.

No comments:

A review: One With The Father

I'm a bit of a fan of medieval mysteries especially where there are monastic and religious dimensions to them. That's what drew me t...