26 August 2010

Baptising infants and educating out of Spirituality

Quite and interesting article/posting here: Educating out of Spirituality � Such as These part of it (interestingly) resonates with a fundamental message of Mat Fox's Original Blessing (I won't go into what I think is wrong with that book, merely affirm that the original blessing message in itself seems fair enough). Part of it is the curriculum that is engendered: "Gretchen Wolff Pritchard wrote in Offering the Gospel to Children that “Adults come to church on Sunday in order to worship; children come to Sunday school to acquire information” (140-141). The assumption is that it’s more important for young people to know about God that is for them to know God. We are educating our children and youth out of their innate spiritual capacities. God, the subject of our worship, becomes the object of our study."
It's an approach to curriculum more informed, I would say, by Enlightenment attitudes which prize rationality as the pre-eminent human characteristic. I'd like to develop a Christian nurture curriculum based on an approach I started to take with confirmation groups of doing far more about spirituality, formation and spiritual disciplines with an experiential dimension written in, and this is an approach which is pretty consonant with what is being said here.

The link to infant baptism is that I think it's interesting that the big rise in pisteuo-baptism comes with the post-Enlightenment period and exhibits concerns with conscious (rational) faith commitments. It has struggled with issues to do with the incorporation of those who have diminished rational capacities. The biblical basis of infant baptism (ie of children in the household of Christians) is precisely about recognising that faith is something lived and felt as much as, if not more than, rationally apprehended. I could go on, but I think that I have drawn the parallel ...

Follow up:
Case for Infant Baptism (Grove booklets on ministry and worship)  

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...