27 August 2010

Greenbelt: Stanley Hauerwas

I went to Stanley Hauerwas' first talk earlier this evening at the Centaur venue. It consisted of a number of readings from his book Hannah's Child which is his autobiographical reflection on the making of him as a theologian. I hadn't read the blurb, so I hadn't realised quite what we were in for, but I was happy to have gone. Interestingly for someone who claims to do theology from revelation and principles, it is a reflection on a life. I think that perhaps this is partly explained by something he said. Assuming that I got it down correctly:
"Learning the language of the craft [meaning of theology] ...determines how you got to tell the story of the failures of your life". I actually think that there is a good definition of practical theology. Of course there's more to be said about that (not least some methodological unpacking) but ... I commend it to you.
Greenbelt - Festival Info Section

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...