There are two or three issues here but I'm only really interested in one, but it's hard not to note the other. The one I'm least interested in, for the moment, is that a dog should get a service in church or possibly that the owner should have spent a thousand quid on the occasion. They are both 'commentable' topics but I don't really want to say much about them.
What I found intriguing is the evident meaning -even in the Torygraph- of the word 'Christening'. See here: "The local vicar, the Reverend David Fowler, blessed the dog in church but refused to actually christen the animal there. Instead the dog, its owner, vicar and guests retreated to a local hotel where the vicar placed his hands on the dog's head and declared the puppy be called Sheridan Smith."
It does seem to me that it seems to focus on 'naming'. I had been wondering whether this could turn out to be a story about 'animal baptism', but clearly not: so, next time someone rings asking for a Christening, perhaps one need not be so quick to assume that a baptism is called for ...
Dog gets elaborate church blessing - Telegraph
Nous like scouse or French -oui? We wee whee all the way ... to mind us a bunch of thunks. Too much information? How could that be?
27 November 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A review of Common Threads
Most of my Christian life, I've been what is usually labelled "an inclusivist". Lately I've been re-examining what that ...
-
Interesting insight into the Muslim world: my favourite progresive muslim site has been hacked and attacked by islamists accusing those who ...
-
This book is one that I now seriously consider recommending to the student Christian groups I'm in touch with whose basis is Evangelic...
-
This is the normal package I've noticed being advertised: "It is expected that for a House-for-Duty appointment the priest will car...
No comments:
Post a Comment