“Religion” is not only a slippery concept, but in this particular modern use is fundamentally also a secular one that assumes “religion” is one of a variety of activities or behaviours that humans can choose to engage in. That definition begs the question of the presumption of a neutral place to stand, it flattens to the point of absurdity the differences, say, between Islam and Buddhism, and it ignores the long-standing traditions of polemic against false “religion” in many major “religious” traditionsI've been trying to express all of that succinctly in a variety of fora for a good while, so I wanted to make sure I could find that bit again for future use. The only thing I'd want to do with it as of this moment is perhaps to expand a tad the 'neutral place to stand' bit to make explicit that the secular standpoints are themselves philosophical actors on a par with 'religion' in the public space.
Nous like scouse or French -oui? We wee whee all the way ... to mind us a bunch of thunks. Too much information? How could that be?
28 November 2010
Hitch, Blair, and the non-event debate on “religion”
A hat-tip to Doug in a comment in his post: Hitch, Blair, and the non-event debate on “religion”. The hats-off-in-respect is for this paragraph:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A review of Common Threads
Most of my Christian life, I've been what is usually labelled "an inclusivist". Lately I've been re-examining what that ...
-
Interesting insight into the Muslim world: my favourite progresive muslim site has been hacked and attacked by islamists accusing those who ...
-
This book is one that I now seriously consider recommending to the student Christian groups I'm in touch with whose basis is Evangelic...
-
This is the normal package I've noticed being advertised: "It is expected that for a House-for-Duty appointment the priest will car...
No comments:
Post a Comment